Deciding on Siding: Cement Board vs. Vinyl
Warmer weather has arrived in the Miami Valley! And it looks here stay. For many of us, it’s high time we address the condition of the exteriors of our homes: that includes siding. By offering both James Hardie cement fiberboard and Mastic vinyl siding, Van Martin provides you with durable and attractive exterior solutions for siding your home.
Here’s what each option offers in terms of aesthetics, durability, and ease of maintenance.
James Hardie Fiber Cement
- Four Simple and Sustainable Ingredients: Water, Sand, Cellulose Fiber, and Cement
- Durable: Resists damage from wet, humid climates as well as cold, dry climates. Flame Retardant. Holds up against damage from impact such as hail. Consists of noncombustible materials.
- Longevity: Up to a 30-year limited transferable product warranty, as well as a 15-year finish warranty covering both paint and labor. Fiber cement can last up to a century.
- Retains Value: The replacement of existing siding with cement board siding (at an average cost of $5,000) would return 80 percent of your investment (on average) on resale, making it the No. 1 return on investment of any home remodeling project 7 years in a row.
- Wood Look: Fiber cement offers the look and feel of real wood without the maintenance.
- Excellent Soundproofing Capability: Because fiberboard consists of two properties (outer layer of cement and inner layer of cellulose) and because it’s 0.25-0.31 inches thick (much thicker than vinyl), it can soundproof a house against external noise.
- Popularity: Vinyl is the No. 1 choice for exterior cladding, 7 percent better than the second-place choice.
- A Variety of Options: Mastic’s extensive color pallet will provide you with a great ability to find the color that fits your home.
- Great Insulation: A Mastic insulated vinyl siding panel has an R-value* of up to 3.0 and will increase the R-value of exterior walls, even with existing cavity insulation.
- Green: NAHB green-approved and can help projects earn certification points in green building programs.
- Durable: Flame resistant, Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Simple Maintenance:
- Easy to handle, store, and install.
- Easy to replace individual pieces if damage should occur.
- Easy to wash with a hose.
- Does not require removal of existing cladding unless it is damaged or rotted.
- Never needs repainting.
- Industry’s broadest range of coordinating siding profiles, accents and accessories.
If you know you need new siding or an inspection to determine whether or not you need new siding, please call Van Martin Windows & Roofing at (937) 222-7855. We will outfit your home with your choice of James Hardie Siding or Mastic Vinyl, both offer some of the best quality siding on the market.