Why is My Roof Leaking?
When your roof leaks, you may wonder what caused it. Well, there are several different answers. The most common causes of a leaky roof are consequences of storm damage, water damage, missing shingles, and a clogged gutter system. However, the age and the way it was installed will also affect the frequency of leaks.
Regardless of how the leak originated, it’s important to act fast. Van Martin has 24/7 availability to address all emergency roof repairs in Dayton, Ohio, and the surrounding areas, including but not limited to Centerville, Beavercreek, Englewood, Kettering, and Vandalia.
Most Common Causes for Roof Leaks
Leaks can occur from almost anywhere. However, we’ve managed to identify and isolate the most common causes of leaks. Below we’ve listed where and why roof leaks most commonly occur.
- Storm Damage: Most leaks occur as a consequence of storm damage. Intense rainfall, winds, and thunderstorms have the ability to create holes, clog gutters, and damaged shingles. It’s important to have your property thoroughly inspected after an intense storm.
- Missing/Damaged Shingles: Over time, it’s inevitable that your shingles will become damaged. They tend to become cracked, develop holes, and even fall off the roof itself.
- Clogged Gutters: It’s important to regularly check your gutters and downspouts for leaves and other small debris. When your gutters become overly clogged, the standing water will wear down your shingles and allow water through. Clogs will occur on all types of gutters, so it’s important to remain vigilant.
- Damaged Chimney: Your chimney is one of the most vulnerable spots on your roofing system. As a result, water will find its way through when damage is present.
- Cracked Flashing: Flashing redirects rain and water away from the most vulnerable parts of your roof. So when your flashing shows signs of damage, water will slip through and leak through your ceiling.
When searching for a roofer near you to handle your leaks, look to Van Martin. We perform roof leak repairs in Dayton, Ohio, and the entire Greater Dayton area. Schedule your free estimate with us when you notice a leak in your ceiling!
How Age Affects Your Roof
Another important factor is the current age of your roofing system. It only makes sense that the older it is, the more susceptible it will be to damage and leaks. While some roofing materials will last longer than others, it’s only a matter of time before their age will start to show. For example, asphalt shingle roofing systems will become susceptible to damage long before metal roofing systems.
To get an approximate estimation of how long your roof will last before it requires a replacement, contact Van Martin for a free roof inspection.
Consequences of an Improper Roof Installation
Arguably the most important factor when it comes to damages and leaks is how well it was initially installed. 47% of all problems originate from a shoddy installation, so it’s important to choose a trusted roofing company in Dayton, Ohio to perform your replacement.
So next time you’re on the hunt for a reputable roofing contractor to handle your replacement, look to Van Martin. We never cut corners when it comes to the quality of our work, and we guarantee you’ll get a quality roofing system with us.
Why Choose Van Martin?
Van Martin’s mission statement is simple: we strive to assist all home and business owners in making the best decisions with their roofing and related systems. We work on all types of roofing, gutters, skylights, and siding systems. So no matter what problem you’re facing with your property and investment, leave it to Van Martin. Whether you need assistance with your residential, commercial, or industrial property, we’re here to help.
The team members at Van Martin are driven to give back to the community that’s already given us so much. To follow through on this statement, we’ve introduced our On The House program. This program gives away an entirely free roof replacement twice a year! Applying is easy, simply visit our On The House page and tell us your story and why you need a replacement!
Our experts prioritize quality workmanship, superior craftsmanship, and attentive customer service. Whether you’re undergoing an entire replacement or simple leak repairs, we’re here to make the entire process easy and hassle-free for you. Give us a call to set up your free estimate or schedule your appointment online today!