How Do I Remove Mold From My Roof?
Locating mold on your roof has the ability to be extremely frightening. When neglected, mold growth will spread to such a degree that not even a pressure washer will be able to help. In these instances, you’ll need a full roof replacement. To avoid the cost of a roof installation, you’ll need to know how to safely remove mold from your roof.
Step 1: Is it Mold?
Before you go about removing the mold, are you absolutely sure that it is mold or mildew? Mold grows from an excess amount of water and moisture in the air. Darker stains and streaks along your roof may look like mold, but more often than not it’s blue-green algae.
Usually, blue-green algae are the culprit in situations like this. In less common cases, moss and algae will spread on your roof from wind, birds, squirrels, etc. When you have a roofing contractor rule out both blue-green algae and moss growth, then you’re looking at the mold.
Step 2: How to Clean Mold
Ignoring mold will lead to both some costly roof repairs and health problems for you and your family. Now that you know you’re dealing with mold, how do you safely remove mold from your roof? To make the process simple, we’ve broken it down into 5 steps:
- Clean your roof on a calm cloudy day. When done on a sunny day, the bleach mixture will evaporate too quickly, lessening its effects.
- Do not use a pressure washer to clean your property. It will loosen your shingles and gutters, and lead to a hefty roof leak repair charge.
- Determine whether or not your roof is safe enough to walk on; slip-resistant shoes are recommended by professionals when walking on a roof. However, do not spend too much time up there. Frequently climbing on top will damage your roof and loosen the shingles.
- Use a sprayer attached to any typical outdoor garden hose. Prepare a mix filled with equal parts chlorine bleach and water. This works especially well on asphalt shingles. After spraying the cleaning solution across the whole top, let it sit for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it with water.
- Do not overdo it with the mixture. In this case, less is more.
For more cleaning roof maintenance tips, click this link here.
Step 3: How to Prevent Outdoor and Indoor Mold
To prevent the growth and spread of mildew in the future, routine maintenance is necessary. Moss, blue-green algae, and mold love cool, damp environments, so it’s highly recommended to trim any overhanging branches above your home to reduce the spread of these.
The presence of standing water will also lead to the growth of mold. Whether it’s in your gutters or on your roof, standing water will bring about leaks and water damage. From there, it then leads to the development of mold. Roof leak repair in Englewood, Ohio is no joke, so be very wary and cautious when it comes to standing water.
When the mold isn’t going anywhere, then it’s time to call in a professional roofing company in Englewood, Ohio.
Seeking Professional Help
In some cases, it’s time to turn to a roofer near you. Only they will be able to properly deal with mildew growth on your roof. However, this is only the case when you hire a trusted roofing company near you. When you need assistance with your roofing system, know that Van Martin will be able to handle any mold problems you have.
And remember, when you let mold persist for too long, it will end up damaging the structure of your roof itself, leading to an entire roof replacement.
Van Martin always puts the customer first, and we’ll provide you with a roofing solution that works perfectly for you. Whether you require an entire roof replacement or simple repairs, count on our experts to provide assistance. After all, our mission is clear: to help all home and business owners in Southwestern Ohio in making the best decisions with their roofing and related systems.
We care about our surrounding communities, and to show this, we’re rolling out our On The House program! This program gives one homeowner in the Greater Dayton area and its surrounding communities a free roof replacement once per quarter! Applying is simple, so tell us your story on why you need a new roof!
So next time you require our expertise, call the team at Van Martin for a roof evaluation or schedule your appointment online! Our experts will work directly with you to provide you with the perfect roofing solution.