Careful! 5 Things That Could Endanger Your Dayton Roof
Your roof shields your home or business from everything Mother Nature has to offer. Whether it is snow, rain, ice, hail, your roof is the first and last line of defense against the elements. Many forget the importance of a durable roof and rarely think about it until problems arise. That is why you want to be prepared and knowledgeable about the things that could endanger your Dayton roof.
Perhaps you are here because you noticed an abundance of moss or algae. Maybe your roof is frequented by creatures, and it is starting to cause problems. Whatever the reason, it is crucial to take action early.
Most roofing problems can be prevented before they become a burden on your wallet. Below we’ve listed 5 common things that could endanger your Dayton roof:
- Critters: As cute as they are, squirrels and raccoons can cause a litany of roof repairs. They may pull shingles off, put the extra weight down, or nibble on support structures to list a few.
- And it doesn’t apply to squirrels and raccoons; termites can burrow into wooden supports and cause severe damage. Woodpeckers may poke through shingles in search of insects. Check your property regularly for any animals that are causing problems.
- Weather: Perhaps the most common cause of repairs, Mother Nature can wear down even the most durable of materials. Wind damage can loosen and damage shingles, thunderstorms can cause roof leaks, snowstorms can cause ice dams, the list goes on. The best way to prevent these kinds of damages is upon installation. With proper installation, the best materials, frequent inspection, and proper roof maintenance, you can prevent the most expensive storm damage repairs.
- Trees and Tree Branches: There are various pros and cons to having tall trees loom over your home. On one hand, they provide shading for your property, preventing damage from the sun and keeping it cool.
- However, it is inevitable that the very branches protecting your home will fall. And when they do, they can damage your shingles and gutters. The best thing to do is to prematurely cut branches or entirely remove the surrounding trees.
- Moisture Buildup: On the surface, it may seem as if water just runs off your roof. However, that’s not entirely true. The amount of moisture and humidity can weaken your roof remarkably. This environment is also a breeding ground for mold, which is a whole other issue.
- Moss and Algae: Quite possibly the biggest opponent your property is facing, moss and algae can hold water in the shingles. As previously mentioned, any excess of moisture can cause problems; the worst being the rotting of your roof.
- Moss and algae tend to thrive in cold, wet, shaded areas of the property. If you notice any moss or blue-green algae, it is best to soft wash your roof before it causes any property damage.
Location Can Endanger Your Roof
Of course, any good contractor will tell you this: it all comes down to location. All of the above factors vary depending on the location of your home or business. For example, in Vandalia, there is an abundance of unpredictable weather, forestry, and critters.
Property owners in this area should be extra wary of those factors. The next step after recognizing the problems is finding a reliable contractor in your area.
Importance of Inspection & Maintenance
The prevention of expensive repairs and roof replacements comes down to proper installation done by a reliable roofing contractor. Roofing companies in Dayton, Ohio are plentiful. There are many to choose from, but it is important to choose right. Installation errors account for 47% of all roof failures so choosing an experienced contractor is important!
Give Van Martin Roofing a call at 1-937-222-7885 or schedule a free roof evaluation online. We have certified and professional roofers, trained on the most advanced roofs, who can answer your toughest questions and greatest concerns. We’ve also made plans to expand into areas such as Vandalia and Centerville, to bring our quality service and craftsmanship to you.