What’s the Lifespan of my Roof?
The lifespan of a roof is affected by numerous factors. However, the most important component of this is the material used. We have listed some of the most common roofing materials and their average lifespan is listed below.
- EPDM (a type of synthetic rubber): 10-16 years
- Modified Bitumen: 10-16 years
- Asphalt Shingles: 15-30 years
- Metal: 30-45 years
- Concrete Tile: 35-50 years
- Slate Tile: 75-200 years
It is important to acknowledge the other factors that shape your roof’s lifespan. The craftsmanship of your roof installation, regional climate, routine maintenance, and much more.
Issues That Can Shorten Your Roof’s Lifespan
Roofing material is not the only factor that determines the lifespan of your roof. Below are a few additional features that affect the life expectancy of a roof:
- Positioning: Absorbing more heat will ultimately lead to a roof having a shorter life. A roof will receive more sunlight and heat if it is facing South.
- Color: A darker roof means more heat absorption, which in some cases may shorten the lifespan.
- Angle/slope: Lower pitched roofs often live shorter lives than their counterparts. On lower pitched roofs, water and debris have more difficulty running off the roof.
- Multiple-layer roof: Installing a new roofing system over a preexisting one will shorten the life of a roof.
Preventative maintenance is key to saving money and time on constant roof repairs while extending the life of your roofing system. Moreover, an experienced roofing professional will help you develop a schedule and offer advice to keep your home safe and dry all year long.
Importance of a Warranty
A reliable warranty on your roof is crucial to a worry-free roof. Don’t let the cost of repairs keep you from correcting the underlying issue. Van Martin has a proven reputation and provides superior warranty options to home and business owners throughout Southwest, Ohio. To learn more about our warranty options and have peace of mind, long after the job is complete give us a call at (937) 222-7885 or schedule a free roof evaluation online today.