10 Ways Dishonest Roofers Will Mislead You!
Being an informed consumer can save you time and money on your roofing system! Dishonest roofers can cost you thousands of dollars due to voided warranties & careless repairs and installations. Here are some tips to avoid the hassle of choosing an unqualified roofing contractor;
- They go out of business every couple of years then open a new business under a different name giving you no recourse or warranty.
- They change their license qualifiers every year which erases the warranty offered. When you call the BBB or licensing department to check the company’s complaint history, it has a clean record.
- If they do not install the roof to code, when the insurance inspects the roof they drop coverage because it is not to code. Use a roofer that knows the law, code and are certified installers!
- They do not use the roofing systems components. attempting to cut costs. If shingles are not installed by certified installers with all roofing system components, shingle manufacturers will void their warranty. Make sure the brand of shingle used matches the roofing system warranty.
- They will try to sell you a roofing system yearly maintenance plan that will revoke the warranty if you don’t pay them to inspect it every year. It’s a good idea to have your roof inspected on a regular basis but not at a cost or at risk of losing your warranty.
- They underreport sales to their insurance company to reduce premiums then if the fraud is caught by the insurance company. The insurance company will deny claims leaving you to pay the bill.
- They underreport wages to their insurance company. To save costs, many roofers abuse this system. They pay cash to laborers to be exempt from workers’ compensation. Wonder why some bids are lower than others? Proper coverage for workers is important because you could end up with the medical bill if they aren’t.
- They file Workman’s Compensation Exemptions for workers which are only permissible to the owners of the company, not the workers. Roofers have a very high injury rate. Make sure workers on your job have proper coverage, or else you could be facing a lawsuit!
- They leave things off of your estimate to win the job. Later, they’ll add items on while installing the roof. Thereby increasing the amount that you owe. Or recommend replacing when repair or cleaning is all you need. Make sure they get everything right in their estimate and by signing a contract they understand that is all you will pay.
- Injured roofers who ignore OSHA safety regulations could mean a lawsuit for you!
Why Choose Van Martin Roofing?
Van Martin always delivers the highest quality craftsmanship, customer service, and roofing materials. For all of your roofing, siding, gutter, windows, skylights, and insulation needs, our team is here and waiting for your call. We provide all of our services to the entire Southwestern Ohio area, so if you’d like to get started, call us at (937) 222-7855 to schedule your free consultation.