How Long Do Residential Roofs Last?
How Long Do Residential Roofs Last?
These days, it’s important to know just how long your residential roof will last. By knowing when your roof will expire, you’ll be able to be on top of your next roof replacement. In the long run, you’ll be able to avoid issues such as roof leaks, water damage, and other meddlesome problems.
A number of factors affect the lifespan of residential roofs in Dayton, Ohio. These factors include but are not limited to, heavy winds, rainfall, the intensity of the sunlight, location, roof pitch, and most importantly, the type of material used.
Types of Residential Roofs and Their Average Lifespans
When it comes to residential roofing, shingles dominate the industry. But contrary to popular belief, there are actually many different types of residential roofing. So we’ve listed the most popular types of roofing for residential systems.
- 3-tab Shingles: These shingles are the most common for residential properties. They last on average anywhere between 18 to 20 years.
- Architectural Shingles: These shingles are a step up from 3-tab shingles. With their increased durability and higher-quality composition, they last roughly 20 to 30 years.
- Metal Roofing: What sets metal roofing apart from other types of materials is its durability, strength, and curb appeal. Metal materials are sleek and able to shake off anything Mother Nature throws at it. With the right attention and care, they’re able to last anywhere from 35 years to 50 years.
- Flat Roofing: Very common for commercial buildings, flat roof materials are cost-effective and energy efficient. They’re usually able to last 20 years on average when appropriately installed.
Roofing Problems That Will Affect Lifespan
Residential roof lifespans are not solely determined by the material of the roof. There are also other factors that will shorten life expectancy. So below we’ve listed some of the other factors that will affect and reduce a roof’s lifespan.
- Positioning: South-facing roofs receive more sunlight and heat, as well as absorb more heat. As a result, they have a reduced lifespan.
- Angle/slope: Water and debris have a harder time draining off lower-pitched roofs than their higher-pitched counterparts. Consequently, lower-pitched roofs usually suffer a reduced lifespan.
- Color: It is likely that a darker roof will absorb more heat, which will lead to its lifespan being shortened more often than not.
- Multiple-layer roof: The life expectancy of a roof will be shortened when a new roof is installed over an existing one.
All of these factors should be considered by experienced roofing companies in Dayton, Ohio that will provide you with service that meets all of your needs.
The Importance of Preventative Maintenance
It’s important to not only know how long your roof will last but to also have a plan for it. Your roof is a serious investment with a significant amount of money going into it. So you’ll want a trusted roofing contractor near you to have a preventative maintenance plan ready for you.
By having a local roofer near you maintain your roofing system regularly, you will save both time and money. You’ll be able to cut back on annoying leaks and roof repairs, and as a result, its life expectancy will increase. Here at Van Martin, we’ll create a schedule for your preventative maintenance and will provide advice to ensure that your home is safe and dry year-round.
We offer the Vanguard Preventative Maintenance Program. This program gives you access to biannual inspections, comprehensive and detailed reports, and emergency services 24 hours a day. With the Vanguard plan, your roof will be covered for years to come.
Why Choose Van Martin?
When it comes to roofing in Dayton, Ohio, look no Van Martin for assistance. We work on all types of roofing, siding, gutters, and Velux skylight systems. When your residential roof is ready to be replaced look to our team of experts. We always deliver quality workmanship and superior craftsmanship on all projects we tackle. So contact Van Martin for a roof replacement in Dayton, Ohio!
By choosing us to replace your roof, we’ll tear off every square foot, safely dispose of the previous system, and install the material of your preference. We not only provide stellar roofing services, but we are also giving back to the community with Van Martin’s On The House program. This program gives away a free roof replacement twice a year, so apply today and tell us why you need a new roof!
Van Martin services the Greater Dayton area and all of Southwestern Ohio. Whether easy repairs or replacement, we always go the extra mile to ensure all your needs are taken care of. So give us a call or schedule your free roof estimate online today!