How Do I Clean My Roof?
Is your roof not as crisp and clean as it used to be? Are your shingles looking faded or darker? Well, then it’s finally time to clean your roof. Cleaning seems like a simple enough task, but when done incorrectly, it will inevitably lead to a leaky roof, and in the worst case scenarios, an entire roof replacement. So we’ve listed how to properly clean your Dayton roof below.
What’s on There?
Let’s start by breaking down what exactly is causing it to appear dirty or discolored. To most people, this resembles mold or some type of fungus. However, the dark strips you’re seeing are most likely blue-green algae.
When there are clumps of broad, green patches spread out all over, you’re looking at an abundance of moss growths. Moss and blue-green algae love to appear in shaded areas, which also means they could’ve made their way into your gutters.
The Dangers of Excess Moss/Algae
Excess moss/algae on your roof may seem like just an eyesore, but it’s important to take care of the issue as soon as you notice it. Moss and algae weaken the structure of your roof, and over time it will deteriorate it. This leads to expensive replacements, which are easily avoided by simply performing routine roof maintenance. Additionally, moss/algae will clog your gutters, leading to leaks and other water damage.
We highly recommend seeking out a reliable roofer near you for any maintenance/repairs, so choose Van Martin. We’ll perform a roof inspection for you and provide you with a detailed, comprehensive report of our findings. From there, we’ll work with you to figure out the next steps for your roofing system.
Now, How Do I Clean It?
With this knowledge, let’s break down some common mistakes when cleaning the mess up there, and some helpful tips.
- Do not use a pressure washer to clean your property. It will loosen your shingles and gutters, and leak to a hefty roof leak repair charge.
- Determine whether or not your roof is safe enough to walk on; slip-resistant shoes are recommended by professionals on top of your home. However, do not spend too much time up there. Frequently climbing on top will result in damage and loosening of the shingles.
- Trim back any branches hanging over your home. When you expose more sunlight to it, then the algae and moss will have trouble emerging.
- Use a sprayer attached to any typical outdoor garden hose. Prepare a mix filled with equal parts chlorine bleach and water. This works especially well on asphalt shingles. After spraying the mixture across the whole top, let it sit for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it with water.
- Do not overdo it with the mixture. In this case, less is more.
- Clean your roof on a calm cloudy day. When done on a sunny day, the bleach mixture will evaporate too quickly, lessening its effects.
Still Not Working?
In the case that you followed each of the tips correctly, and it’s still covered in clumps of moss and streaks of algae, then you will need an expert roofing contractor at this point. Waiting too long to clean it will make the algae and moss much more stubborn, and could lead to some costly roof repairs.
When you’re looking for reliable roofing companies in the Dayton area, at Van Martin, We leave no shingle unturned when it comes to providing our customers with quality work and service. You’ll find our roofing services are second to none, as we work to assist all home and business owners to make the best decision with their roofing and related systems.
Why Choose Van Martin?
Whether you need our help for a home improvement project or an entire roof installation, we have your back. We perform roof repairs, replacements, installations, and restorations for all residential, commercial, and industrial properties. Furthermore, you’ll be covered for years to come with one of our workmanship or manufacturer warranties.
Van Martin is a roofing company that cares about its surrounding communities. To show this, we’re rolling out our On The House program. This program gives us a platform to give back to our community, where we choose a homeowner in Southwestern Ohio twice a year for a completely free roof replacement! So apply today and tell us your story!
When you choose Van Martin, you’re choosing a company that’s centered around people. Request a roof evaluation online today, or give us a call! We service the Miami Valley and the Greater Dayton area.